The small town nestled away on the coastal front of Odisha is one of the hidden gems of India’s cultural history and exquisite natural contour. While you may have heard of the town often in context of its several temples, Jagannath Puri, being the most prominently celebrated, this little town in Odisha has more than meets the eye.From wonderful Puri hotels to expansive beaches and rich cultural art, the city has a unique charm.
Here are 6 reasons for you to make Puri your next destination:
- Pipili Artwork: this ancient traditional form of fabric stitching with vibrant colours and artefacts is unique to the region. The technique which was past down from generation to generation uses various floral and animalistic motif, often depicting ancient stories. The Pipili artwork can add a beautiful texture and richness to your home decor. While most art pieces are from the smaller village of Pipili which is easy to travel to from Puri, several artisans live in Puri and have adapted their art form to modern influences.
- Coastal Delicacies: while many coastal towns may offer the lure of delicious coastal food, Puri is unparalleled in its unique influence of odia and bengali cuisines. Not to mention the ample availability of fresh fish and crustaceans to the town’s many specialized restaurants. In the olden times, Puri was a connection between the South and East of India and fell on the trade route which brought along many culinary influences over time. The giant lobsters are quite famous among tourist visiting the city along with different preparations of Pomfret and Prawns.
- A Sweet Tooth: Now this might seem like the least of reasons to plan a journey but conquest have been made for far lesser. And for the select few who have had the opportunity to taste the sugary delicacies of the city would be glad to testify to this thrilling experience. Freshly fried and often doused in sugary syrups, these over the counter sweets can challenge even the most health conscious in a battle of will. If you are picky when it comes to sugary sweets, we recommend trying the ‘Gawjas’, a local flour based deep fried delicacy. It’s available across vendor in any part of the city.
- Nature Calling: very few of us can claim to have witnessed a flamboyance of flamingos, a flock of purple moorhens or a pod of dolphins. The brackish water lagoon of Chilka Lake is one such place on earth where such wonders are merely a stone’s throw away. From Puri there are many tours operated and the journey is easy and scenic. While one can make the trip to Chilka from many of the other cities in Odisha, Puri is a recommended city as tour guides are well versed in giving you the best experiences since they frequent this journey. The lake provide a picturesque scenery and an amalgamation of fauna, some which are native to the region and others that seasonally migrate.
- History and Architecture: for those of you who love temples and ancient Indian site, Puri will not disappoint. Commonly known as a temple town the city boasts several beautiful and richly adorned temples. The most famous being the Jagannath Temple which has a towering presence over the city’s skyline. In worship of Lord Jagannath, this temple holds a significant reverence in hindu mythology. The ‘Rath Yatra’ or Chariot Festival is a celebrated event of hindu custom in praise of Lord Jagannath. During the festival the streets and temples provide a spectacular air of exuberance and frolic. The historical legacy of the city stems far back in time, even before accounts of Aryans and Dravidians. Apart from this most famous temple, you can also visit some Shiva and Vishnu temples as well as nearby ruins.
- Golden Beaches: It’s still an enthralling sight for me despite having walked these beaches countless times, to see the sun rays painting the waves golden and melting away onto the sandy shores. While there are several golden sand beaches along the coast of the Puri, the eastern ones are far more cleaner and offer spectacular sun rises. The rough seas are one to be cautious of but offer great opportunities if you enjoy surfing. These beaches are also common among western tourists and you will find a large number of people during the day settled on the beaches.
Whether you are a nature lover, art lover or simply like enjoy a calm day, Puri will surely be a flavour hard to resist. Puri hotels are affordable and offer different types of accommodations which makes it easy for you to plan your stay and begin exploring the wonders of Puri in bountiful Odisha. We also urge you to explore nearby towns such as Konark and Raghurajpur.